Fun and Fitness for Lymphedema
Creating a Healthier Active Lifestyle!
Nation’s Nordic Pole Walking Program
What Does The
Lymphatic System Do?
The lymphatic system is part of the immune system. It also maintains fluid balance and plays a role in absorbing fats and fat-soluble nutrients.
The lymphatic or lymph system involves an extensive network of vessels that passes through almost all our tissues to allow for the movement of a fluid called lymph. Lymph circulates through the body in a similar way to blood.
There are now many classes given from Aquatic Therapy, Massage to Dance that will benefit LE, but requires you to attend classes.
Nations Nordic Medical Pole Walking is a home walking program that can be done indoors or out with your caregiver, family and friends. Other home exercise programs have a 10% compliance rate at best. Individuals who use our program usually feel benefits in the first or second session. We have a 70% compliance rate because it’s simple and easy and gets results. We empower you to live an active Lifestyle, giving you hope and purpose so you can continue exercising on a long term bases.
Fast facts about
the lymphatic system
- The lymphatic system plays a key role in the immune system, fluid balance, and absorption of fats and fat-soluble nutrients.
- As lymph vessels drain fluid from body tissues, this enables foreign material to be delivered to the lymph nodes for assessment by immune system cells.
- The lymph nodes swell in response to infection, due to a build-up of lymph fluid, bacteria, or other organisms and immune system cells.
- Lymph nodes can also become infected, in a condition known as lymphadenitis.
- If lymph nodes remain swollen, if they are hard and rubbery, and if there are other symptoms, you should see a doctor.
The lymphatic system
has three main functions:
- It maintains the balance of fluid between the blood and tissues, known as fluid homeostasis.
- It forms part of the body’s immune system and helps defend against bacteria and other intruders.
- It facilitates absorption of fats and fat-soluble nutrients in the digestive system.
The system has special small vessels called lacteals. These enable it to absorb fats and fat-soluble nutrients from the gut.
Late To Start!
The Road To Curing Lymphedema
System – 3D
Kathy Bates (LE&RN Spokesperson and Actress), Dr. Stanley G. Rockson (Stanford University Endowed Professor of Lymphatics and LE&RN Co-Founder), and William Repicci (President and CEO, LE&RN) explain the scourge of Lymphedema and Lymphatic diseases, and the way we can change the future of millions through activism and research. They highlight the challenges that patients face, and the current state of care and treatment.
The Lymphatic Education & Research Network (LE&RN), an international non-profit organization whose mission is to fight lymphatic disease (LD) and lymphedema (LE) through education, research, and advocacy. Nordic Walking Nations fully endorses this organization and the work they do to shed light on this debilitating disease.
3D Model of the Female Lymphatic System, complements of Bio Digital.
Surprising fact: In the United States, more people (10M) have Lymphadema than people who have Multiple Sclerosis, AIDS, HIV Positive, ALS and Parkinson’s Disease combined.
10+ Health Benefits gained with each
Step of Nordic Pole Walking!
Each step provides better:
- Burns 22-47% more Calories than regular walking
- Better Posture, Balance and Walking Gait
- Activates 90% of your body musculature increasing Stability
- Improves the Vascular and Lymphatic Systems Function
- An Aerobic Resistant/Cross motor exercise generates better Brain Function
- Reduces 30% stress and pain from back, hips, knees and ankles
- Strengthens your core by balancing the Para- Spinal Muscles of the Spine